After a rough start in league play, Edgemont ran past both Scarsdale B and New Rochelle this week, winning both matches 6-1. Coach Jeff Menaker feels this is the boost Edgemont needs to start their run toward playoffs. Junior Jacob Weiss said, “I feel like we have a lot of winnable matches coming up, and I see us going on a run, and getting a good seeding in playoffs”. Edgemont’s next three matches are against Pelham, Bronxville (who Edgemont lost to 4-3 earlier this season), and then Pelham again.
When I asked Edgemont head coach Jeff Menaker about what he expects from his youngsters in the second half of the season he said, “our young players are growing into their games, and I expect that to pay its dividends later this season”.
Keys to the Match:
Cole Chidekel and Charlie Miner won their last two matches in one 2nd set tiebreak and one 3rd set tiebreak. When asked what the key was to winning the two tiebreaks, Cole explained, “it’s easy to get down on yourself after a second set loss, but if you want to win a tiebreak, you have to stay mentally tough and completely dialed in, as Charlie and I did to in both matches”.
Kartik Subbanna bounced back after a hard fought loss against Scarsdale B, and won his match in third singles 6-1, 6-2 against New Rochelle. He said about his win, “The key to my victory was my consistency and staying focused throughout the whole match”.
First singles player Allan Xu faced a familiar foe, a player he had lost to three times in the past. When I asked him what his mindset would be coming into the match, he said “it’s always been close, so I stuck to my game plan and this time I played the better match”. Allan played a great match and won 6-1, 6-4. Edgemont hopes to keep the winning streak alive for the last four games of the season.
Edgemont defeats Scarsdale B: 6-1
- First singles: Allan Xu won 7-6 6-1
- Second singles: Akshat Sanghavi won 6-3 6-4
- Third singles: Kartik Subbanna lost 7-6 6-4
- First doubles: Aaditya Jain/Terren Klein won 4-6 7-5 10-8 (third set tiebreak)
- Second doubles: Jacob Weiss/Jan Kjellberg won 6-3 2-6 11-9 (third set tiebreak)
- Third doubles: Charlie Miner/Cole Chidekel won 6-0 7-6
- Fourth Doubles: Ethan Cutler/Berber Jin won 6-2 6-2
Edgemont defeats New Rochelle: 6-1
- First singles: Allan Xu won 6-1 6-4
- Second singles: Akshat Sanghavi won 6-4 7-6
- Third singles: Kartik Subbanna won 6-1 6-0
- First doubles: Aaditya Jain/Terren Klein lost 5-7 6-4 11-13
- Second doubles: Jacob Weiss/Jan Kjellberg won 6-3 4-6 10-6
- Third doubles: Charlie Miner/Cole Chidekel won 6-2 2-6 10-4
- Fourth Doubles: Ethan Cutler/Berber Jin won 6-3 5-7 10-6