With the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy still affecting large areas of the town, there are still live wires on the ground, power outages resulting in traffic lights and street lights not working and numerous road closures. And trees are still falling so you should be concerned about these hazards.
With these obvious dangerous conditions it is unsafe to have adults and children out on the streets tonight trick-or-treating. We are urging parents to please keep their children at home. However, if you insist going out for Halloween, do it during daylight hours since many areas of the town are without street lights and homes are in the dark.
The main roads still closed are:
• Hillside Ave between North Road and Valimar
• Mountain Road between Taxter Road and the Saw Mill River Parkway
• Sprain Road at Boulder Ridge
• Underhill between Paradise Drive and Hearthstone Circle
• West Hartsdale Avenue between Secor Road and Ridge Road
• Fort Hill Road between Jackson Avenue and Ardsley Road
• Fort Hill Road between Underhill Road and Longview Road
Also note the following:
-Approximately 40 secondary roads are blocked by trees.
-Approximately 8,700 power outages continue.
-Be cautious if utilizing candles for light in your home.
-Con Edison will distribute dry ice today at Empire City/Yonkers Raceway from noon to 6 p.m.
Stay safe and be aware of these dangers.
Joseph J. DeCarlo
Chief of Police